1. Spend majority of shift on foot patrol, walking, climbing stairs of the interior and perimeter of the hotel to observe and identify potential security and safety risks or undesirable conditions. Requires verbal communication using pager and two way radio, bending, stooping and kneeling as in performing CPR.
2. Maintain order in the hotel, dealing with the welfare of guests, eg., assisting with door lock problems, coordinate expedient response to emergency conditions such as fire, fire or safety hazards and threats to life and/or property in a calm, rational and persuasive manner. Handle undesired conduct, violations of hotel policy and civil laws as warranted for the security and safety of hotel guests, employees, patrons and property. Requires grasping lifting or carrying or otherwise moving persons, packages, luggage, wheelchairs and safety equipment using manual dexterity of hands.
3. Answer security telephone and safety hotline calls and respond in a timely manner based on priority.
4. Use a clear, concise English speaking voice, listen with empathy, provide accurate information and document legibly all appropriate incident information.
5. Memorize and monitor fire safety system installed at property including layout of entire building, alarm pull stations, location of fire extinguisher and sprinklers.
6. Regular attendance in conformance with the standards, which may be established by The Hay Adams from time to time, is essential to the successful performance of this position. Employees with irregular attendance will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
7. Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel.
8. Upon employment, all employees are required to fully comply with The Hay Adam rules and regulations for the safe and efficient operation of hotel facilities. Employees who violate hotel rules and regulations will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the supervisor based upon the particular requirements of the hotel.
Check employee packages as they exit to ensure no food or The Hay Adams property is being removed. Screen persons entering this entrance for purpose and authorization.
Receive, record and deliver lost and found items to Housekeeping. Research and respond to inquiries from guests concerning status of items.
Provide accurate information to inquirers for directions, hours of operation, etc.
Escort guests and employees as required to parking lots, provide same for employees carrying house banks.
Assist guests with door lock problems and opening rooms safely.
Other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
Thorough knowledge of the layout of the building, function rooms and some knowledge of the city and surrounding areas.
Ability to effectively deal with internal and external customers, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy to defuse anger and collect accurate information.
Ability to listen effectively, speak, read and write English clearly to ascertain and document important information.
Ability to stand, walk and/or sit and continuously perform essential job functions for duration of shift.
Hearing and visual ability to observe and detect signs of emergency situations.
Perform tasks requiring bending, stooping, kneeling, and walking significant distances between and within buildings on the property.
Ability to follow written and or verbal instructions.
Ability to grasp, lift and/or carry or otherwise move goods weighing a maximum of 100lbs. Sufficient manual dexterity in hands.
Ability to climb stairs and ladders at a rapid pace.
Ability to perform duties within extreme temperature ranges.
Education and Experience
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school or any other combination of education, training or experience that provides that required knowledge skills and abilities. High school diploma preferred.
Licenses or Certificates
Special Police License required (SPO Requirements per D.C. Law -- must be U.S. Citizens and No Prior Police Records). CPR certification and first aid training preferred.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interests, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms: climb or balance stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
EEO AA M/F/Vet/Disabled